Who We Are
Raleigh’s Hillside Farm LLC is owned and operated by Kyle and Lauren Rudersdorf. Ours is a love story. The two of us met while attending the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at the University of Wisconsin- Madison. We were studying soil science and rural sociology, respectively. We spent our days learning to cook and our nights discussing the environment, agriculture, local food systems, and a better world. We fell in love quickly. As we approached graduation, we couldn't imagine an existence where we weren't always a team. We decided we wanted to spend our lives building something together. Neither of us ever considered a career in farming separately, but together, it felt right. We wanted to create a small, diverse farm that connected people to their food. We decided to take a chance and rent some family land and Raleigh’s Hillside Farm was born.
Interested in more of our story? Follow along with our farming journey over at Lauren's food and farming blog The Leek & The Carrot.
What We Believe
We envision a better world. One where people enjoy the food that nourishes them, have healthy relationships to it, and understand the ways it was produced. A world where agriculture works within the natural ecosystem and does not cause harm. A world where farming is a respected and desirable career because farm owners and employees earn a fair, living wage and feel empowered in their marketplace.
Our Core Values
- We help our customers enjoy healthy, local food in a convenient, simple, approachable way and get them excited about their role in our food system.
- We strive to provide the highest quality produce possible first by being certified organic and sharing our production methods with our customers, but secondly by providing clean, beautiful vegetables packaged appropriately for customer ease of use.
- We work to elevate the public perception and standard of living for farmers by sharing our stories, acting deliberately and professionally, and building a system that pays farm owners and employees fairly.
- We implement strategies that are beyond organic, focused on long-term soil health and leaving as little impact as possible.
- We are focused on being part of the good in this world: something that brings joy, beauty and vibrancy into our customers’ weekly routine.